It was one of the first public parks in Japan in 1873 along with Shibuya Park and Asukayama Park based on the notice issued by Dajo-kan. In the Edo period, it was part of Toeizan Kaneiji Temple, but was thereafter given to Tokyo Metropolitan Government by the Imperial Household Agency in 1924.
Initially, the park consisted of Kaneiji Temple main building, cherry trees, and Toshogu. Then, several recreation sites, including museums, zoo, and art museums, were built and included in the park over the years. These additions reinvented the park into a place with a touch of high culture.